On 2016-12-30, at 10:39 AM, David Schwartz <da...@yesdavid.com> wrote:

> Just to be clear, when you write:
> "I was looking over my backups with Grand Perspective, and deleted all
> backups of some files"
>
> you were using Grand Perspective only as a size-display device, but any
> deletions you did were from within the Time Machine galaxy interface, right?

Yep.
This is an old version of Grand Perspective that is read-only, display-only --
it does no changes of any kind. (Kinda important -- I have to run it as root to
get accurate information, and any Appkit program run as root with write
permissions is a security hole).

>> if I try to enter time machine, finder just spins its colored disk
>
> Can you open the "Latest" folder inside the Backups.backupd folder from the
> Finder?
>
> Have you restarted the Mac?

Cold shutdown, and restart.

I can look inside the backup directory in terminal, or with "tmutil
uniquesize", or other things. Finder?

Yep, Finder is happy with the time machine stuff.

So far, the only thing that fails is trying to enter Time Machine. Everything
else seems to work.

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce