Oh, this is precious.  I honestly don't know whether or not to feel stupider
than the guy who programmed this user-hostile UI.

If the window you are trying to retrieve backups for (Finder, Mail, whatever)
happens to be set to occupy most of the height of the screen, the image of that
window in Time Machine will COVER the Restore button!  If you make the window
shorter, then invoke Time Machine, the button is visible.  Similarly, you can
resize the large window smaller while within Time Machine, and the buttons will
appear.  Having done so, you can no longer resize the window to cover the
buttons again… but Time Machine doesn't make the same check at time of
invocation to determine whether the buttons are covered.

I don't remember which release replaced the "big black bar at the bottom" with
these modest translucent buttons (probably the same one that removed that
god-awful remote-service-hostile animated Star Wars background image), but I
suspect the big black bar never let itself be covered.

Three weeks of coffee duty are strongly indicated for somebody in Cupertino.