On 2017-07-23, at 1:21 PM, Macs R We <macs...@macsrwe.com> wrote:

> Oh, this is precious.  I honestly don't know whether or not to feel stupider
> than the guy who programmed this user-hostile UI.
>
> If the window you are trying to retrieve backups for (Finder, Mail, whatever)
> happens to be set to occupy most of the height of the screen, the image of
> that window in Time Machine will COVER the Restore button!

No, you should not feel stupider.

Considering that most windows are "full screen" (meaning the dock, title bar,
and menu bar all take up space), and "real full screen" (all those get out of
your way) is so hostile to multiple-app usage as to not be used, testing for
"full screen" behavior should have been on their checklist of things to test.

And no, I am not mistaken in my description of the "Create a new space and
disable alt-tab from working nicely" mode. Have the folks at Cupertino never
used a toolchain where multiple different programs are used in sequence to
accomplish something? :-)

Seriously, if I did not know that this was now impossible, I would have thought
that somewhere along the way, a developer inserted a "rogue feature" that was
undocumented, by modifying some other common routine without checking for where
that routine was used, nor even documenting the new behavior of that routine. I
mean, seriously, I can at least excuse Microsoft for their "Labels disappear
from image folders" problem, as it won't show up on new installs (bug not
triggered), and it's not like you'll test it a second time after testing
everything else on your system. And they did fix that as soon as it was
discovered/identified.

That it happened to me on every windows system I ever used (hint: I was a
strong keyboard interface user, avoiding the mouse as much as possible, so I
probably triggered that keystroke effect frequently) made me certain that
Microsoft was an idiot. Never occurred to me that it was someone doing
something deliberately wrong like that.

I mean, it is impossible now, right? Programmers are no longer expected to make
UI decisions on things with system-wide implications, right? That's the thing
that UI designers are for, right? I mean, that was the whole thing with Jobs,
"Here is a UI rule, programmers follow this rule" rather than every programmer
doing something different, X-windows style, right? That's now a thing of the
past, right?

(I know, someone will tell me I'm still dreaming).

I do like being able to make the window bigger in time machine. I hate how
small any finder window becomes after going in, and worse is that it
"remembers" the new smaller, "more energy efficient" size :-)

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce