On 2017-09-22, at 8:14 AM, larkost <kuehn.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

>       I would argue that it is still true for server systems, especially now
> with cloud infrastructures and things like Docker and Puppet. However, it was
> a pretty useless statement in a conversation about MacOS, which is a client
> OS, controlled by a company that does not think that way.
>
>> On Sep 22, 2017, at 8:09 AM, @lbutlr <krem...@kreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 21, 2017, at 10:57 AM, Michael <keybou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Something I learned early on doing system admin on unix systems (hey, I
>>> learned these lessons in V7 and S3, I can use "unix") was that you wanted
>>> your root partition to be as little-write as possible.
>>
>> That was true 20 years ago, it is not true now.ZZ

Whether Mac OS is a client OS or not, the core issue remains: Being able to
have a clean "here is my data" / "here is the company data" separation has
consistently been beneficial for long-term "here is my data" backups, for
fixing restore/reinstall problems (do a clean install of the OS, then a clean
install of user added programs, then do a clean install of user data, get rid
of any crud that accumulated from installed/deleted/obsoleted programs), etc.
It has helped me in the past, and I see no reason to say this should go poof.

That "root" should be "write-little", separate from this, deals with the whole
issue of "lots of writes clobbers things". I grew up with media being ruined by
excessive writes (even early hard drives did this), and in general, having more
data changes means more opportunities for errors to show up (and sorry, even
modern hardware fails to accurately move data from the OS buffers to the hard
drive media, this is documented and too accurate, and is part of why newer file
systems are adding in data checksumming as part of the file system).

So, wanting "root" to be stable, and keeping partitions separate, serves both
"reduce the damage when something does fail", "reduce the likelyhood that the
system boot will fail", "make it easier to take my data with me to the next
system", and "make the system more reliable".

===

How does Mac OS make sure that all NFS mounts are ready before running programs
in multi-user mode? Or does it only consider NFS mounts to be for the user home
directory as some sort of special case handling by login window?

How does Mac OS deal with a user having a home directory not under /Users?