Lately, Apple has "improved" several such interfaces into total yuckiness.

For example, the "send mail" action in Automator no longer opens up a new
message in Mail — instead, it throws up its own little dialog box into which
you have to type your mail (complete with crippled versions of ancillary
facilities, like your Contact book, to make creation more laborious).  When you
submit that, it doesn't send it —  it makes a new Mail message out of it, which
you then must send "again."  Absolutely stupid and redundant.

When it comes to emailing photos, I've found that the easiest way is just to
ignore all of the photo app's "helpful" buttons.  If you just drag the photo
out of the thumbnail window into a new mail message, it indeed inserts the
full-size version (not just the thumbnail), and you can totally control the
placement of the photo by where you drop it.  Maybe your Dad will prefer doing
that.