On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 3:54 PM Macs R We <macs...@macsrwe.com> wrote:

> If, as you say, the source of the problem is not at all indicated by log
> activity, I would resolve myself to do a manual migration activity. In
> outline form, the steps would be as follows:
>
> Make a folder in your home dir for saved mail; save every one of your "on
> my mac" mailboxes into it. If any of your mail accounts are still POP, do
> the same with the "live" (In, Sent, etc.) mailboxes for those accounts.
>
> Copy out your keychain files, likewise.
>
> Copy out the entire contents of your home folder to another drive.
>
> Destroy the original user and his data entirely.
>
> Recreate the user (making sure, if possible, to get the same Unix user
> number, which saves a lot of work)
>
> After you have logged in, copy every folder back in EXCEPT the ~/Library
> folder. This is where your gremlin is, guaranteed.
>
> Launch Mail, and import your saved mail. Stuff the keychain files back
> into your keychain dir and activate them. (You'll have to do a little
> do-si-do renaming to replace your login chain.)
>
> You're going to lose a lot of "user convenience data" like cookies, app
> preferences, system preference settings, and the like, just as if you were
> on a new machine. But at least you'll still have your data.
>
> I covered saving mail and keychain passwords, there are probably some
> other crucial user data in Library I didn't think of that other folks could
> add to this list.

First, thank you! This is a very helpful guide! I'll need it!

I'm trying to minimize loss of that "convenience" data - preferences,
cookies and the like, but also agree that the problem is in the ~/Library
somewhere. (Mail is not an issue - I don't use Mac Mail - I use Gmail in a
browser) I also know I can't save all the data I want to, so any other
suggestions on what can and needs to be saved is appreciated!

Thanks