I'm trying to upgrade my M1 MacBook Pro 16-inch from Ventura 13.0.1 to 13.1 but
it always gives me an error popup:

"Failed to personalize the software update. Please try again.
An error occurred while downloading the selected updates.
Please check your internet connection and try again."

Well, there's nothing wrong with the internet connection, I'm not behind a
firewall, and there's plenty of free disk space (862GB). In fact, I just
upgraded my M1 Mac Studio, so there must be something specific about the MBP
that the Software Update process is choking on.

The only instructions I can find online are to ERASE THE ENTIRE DISK AND
REINSTALL VENTURA FROM SCRATCH -- which is not a viable option for me.

Any suggestions?
-Carl