>> I'm new to Perl and am using BBEdit to edit scripts. I just can't
>> figure out how to easily type in characters with accents. For
>> example to get usu·rio I have to put in  usu∑rios for VocÍ I have
>> type in VocÕ
>
> if it's just a question of entering the character, the ascii floater
> in bbedit will probably be easiest. window menu -> ascii table,
> double click for the %mumble or apple-doubleclick for the character.

So for example:

$txt{'34'} = "Entrada";
$txt{'35'} = "Nome do usu·rio";
$txt{'36'} = "Password";
$txt{'37'} = "VocÍ deve preencher nome de usu·rio.";
$txt{'38'} = "Campo Password est· vazio";
$txt{'39'} = "Password incorreto";
$txt{'40'} = "Nome de usu·rio n„o existe.";

To get the character ã is use „ as in "n„o" but I don't see how the
floating pallet will do this. Using the floating ascii pallet I get:

139
\x8B

I'm assuming all of these will achieve the same result but why is
it that the files I get from others have these other equivalents
like „ for ã

What converter are they using and is it possibly more compatible
across platforms to stick with that type of converter?

Thanks,

Steve