Ken> You can probably just get the 5.6.0 distribution, go into the
Ken> GDBM_File directory, and install from there to your main perl, without
Ken> installing any other pieces.  I've never tried this, but I think it
Ken> should work.  In any case, you certainly shouldn't be forced to
Ken> upgrade perl just for the privilege of getting GDBM_File installed.

There was a time when Perl would not let you select anything "after
the fact" that was in the core distro.  Once it had decided that GDBM
wasn't available, you simply couldn't use it, even if you tried to
take the portion of the distro for GDBM and manually compile/install
it later.  You had to re-./configure and build the entire distro
again.

That may have been fixed, but I'm still suspicious.