Phil,
I have followed the same procedure as you and I also get a bus error with
menus.  In fact, the widget demo that comes with perl/Tk gives a bus error
for almost every part of its interface.  Are we the only two people having
this problem?  If so, is there something we can do to fix this?  Most of my
Tk scripts have menus!

-Aaron Lawson