I spent some time recently on Mac::Types, Mac::Memory, and
Mac::Resources, and got all three to compile and pass minimal tests
on 10.1.3 (OK, more than minimal: I'm now able to ditch MacPerl
entirely for my last Carbon-dependent script). I've made patches
available at
        http://homepage.mac.com/mblakele/carbonperl/

These modules aren't incredibly useful except as a foundation for
other modules, but I hope that these patches will help other
interested perl-mongers to get started with Carbon-Perl projects.

It's probably time that SourceForge had a Carbon Perl Modules
project, feeding into CPAN. But I'm a relative novice at XS, and even
more ignorant of Carbon, so I'm hoping that some more capable
developers will have time and interest, too. Are the MacPerl
developers still uninterested, as http://macperl.sf.net/ suggests?

Here's a question for general discussion:

* should these modules continue to be known as Mac::Foo, so that we
can aim for source portability between OS9 and OSX?

* or should they become Mac::Carbon::Foo so that the non-Carbon cruft
can be removed?

* or should they become Carbon::Foo, in case Carbon ever makes it on
non-Mac platforms?

Personally I lean toward the first option, since I have scripts that
I'd like to be able to run on OS9 and OSX without modifications.
Thoughts?

-- Mike