Chris Nandor wrote at
<http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg01651.html>:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Blakeley) wrote:
>
>>  It's probably time that SourceForge had a Carbon Perl Modules
>>  project, feeding into CPAN.
>
>Yep!  One already exists.
>
>    http://sf.net/projects/mac-carbon/

Ah - I searched on project names matching "perl" and missed it. No
code in mac-carbon yet, but thanks for the pointer.

>  > Are the MacPerl developers still uninterested, as
>  > http://macperl.sf.net/ suggests?
>
>Why do you say we are uninterested?  The page clearly says the
>opposite! Read again:
>
># It would be nice to, at some point, have the Toolbox modules
># (Mac::Windows, Mac::Events) Carbonized so the same GUI-based
># MacPerl programs would run on both platforms. This may happen in
># the future.

Yes, "uninterested" was the wrong word: "too busy" might have been
more accurate. I'm not criticizing, please understand - I'm telling
you why I decided to try this port myself.

I read the above text as saying "do it yourself if you want it so
badly," in traditional open-source fashion :-). I read
http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg01197.html in the
same vein. When developers tell me that they don't have time to work
on a project, I take that as a broad hint that someone else has to
step in, if it's going to happen.

Since I wanted it to happen, I gave it a few hours and got what I
wanted (Mac::Resources on 10.1.3). Now I can run a crucial script on
OSX, and I'm happy with that.

>The short story is that Matthias Neeracher has begun planning the
>Mac::Carbon module.  The plan is to port the existing Mac:: toolbox
>modules to use the new module, so they are primarily pure-perl
>frontends to the new module.  I don't know if he's got any code
>started yet, though I've stated that, as time permits, I want to
>start working on it when MacPerl is released (any day now).

The approach you've outlined makes good sense.

So... it sounds to me like there's no place in this vision of
Mac::Carbon for the patches that I've done, because Matthias is
starting over with an empty CVS tree and h2xs. Is that correct?

That's ok with me - I just wanted to have Mac::Resources working for
myself, and I've got that now. I'm going to leave my patches up at
http://homepage.mac.com/mblakele/carbonperl/ and I may supplement
them with a standalone tarball. If anyone wants to use them as a
stop-gap until mac-carbon bears fruit, there they are.

Just for grins, I got Speech and Gestalt working this afternoon, just
before seeing your message. Speech is pretty cool to have, and I may
use it for error reports in a long-running command-line script that
I've been working on. I expect that Controls, DCon, Fonts, MoreFiles,
Notification, Processes, and SpeechRecognition would all be fairly
easy to port as well (no XS_ functions, so the custom xsubpp isn't
necessary, once the POD has been pulled out of the .xs files).

After that it would get more difficult, which makes me think that
your mac-carbon approach is the right one.

-- Mike