Alex S wrote:

>> I know this doesn't help you much, but maybe it will give some insights.
>

> Thanks for the response.  I think my next step will be to download the
> update and try to rerun it manually.  Maybe the update had some minor,
> unreported failure when I ran it.

Okay.. well, the manual reprocessing of the update didn't help.

However, I figured it out.  I had updated perl to 5.6.1 when installing
a module through CPAN.  My other Mac that was working still had 5.6.0.
 So, I decided to downgrade perl back to 5.6.0.

Voila!  Apache now starts with mod_perl loaded.

I hope that anyone else who has had problems like these finds this helpful.

Cheers,
-Alex