I've somehow broken my perl. It always crashes with a memory exception
in S_regmatch(). I don't know what library supplies this function, or
even if it's a problem with the library, or a problem with some other
perl component. Any ideas? Is there a "perl-only" isntaller that would
allow me to fix this without having to reinstall the who shebang? Can I
just rebuild from source?

thanks,
-steve

[vh10-33:~] steve% gdb perl
GNU gdb 5.0-20001113 (Apple version gdb-203) (Wed Nov  7 16:28:57 GMT
2001) (UI_OUT)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "powerpc-apple-macos10".
Reading symbols for shared libraries ... done
(gdb) set args -V
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/perl -V
[Switching to thread 1 (process 5295 thread 0x1603)]

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
0x719df5d8 in S_regmatch ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x719df5d8 in S_regmatch ()
#1  0x719ddb24 in S_regtry ()
#2  0x719dce98 in Perl_regexec_flags ()
#3  0x71995a6c in Perl_pp_subst ()
#4  0x71990694 in Perl_runops_standard ()
#5  0x7194411c in S_call_body ()
#6  0x71943dc8 in perl_call_sv ()
#7  0x719477f8 in S_call_list_body ()
#8  0x7194737c in Perl_call_list ()