> Has anyone tried accessing serial ports from perl?

I tried accessing a USB-port.

> I tried installing Device::Serial and it crashes hard  (text is
> printed on the screen as if it was a console indicating it is waiting
> for the remote debugger to attach).

<snip>

> Somewhere around test 85 the Mac crashes badly.  Even from user mode.

That is strange. The kernel shouldn't really panic, unless you where running
this process in kernel space. Trying to access an I/O port or
hardware-mapped memory shouldn't give you a kernel panic from user space.
The kernel should just reject it, and send a signal to your process.

> I don't know if this crash would affect different serial ports or
> non-SUB serial ports or whatever.
>
> Any thoughts?

I think you have to use a device driver.
Or you need to make your script run in kernel space, you can't access any HW
from user space.

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Darwin/IOKit/IOKitFundamentals/Ab
out/index.html

Tor