----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Price" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mac OS X Perl list" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: Reverting to 5.6.1

> On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 09:08  AM, Puneet Kishor wrote:
>
> > CPAN is marvelous, but it would be taken in to the realm of
> > unbelievably good if it could keep a log of all that is installed, and
> > then would uninstall everything for you.
>
> Like Debian's "apt" ?

well, yeah, kind of. I know, I know, there is fink. But it seems package
manager seems to be the holy grail... even Apple is rumored to be searching
for it (some email messages from Jordan Hubbard come to mind). But, every
*nix flavor has its own, and never do they meet.

Since OS X is such a tightly integrated convergence of the gui and command
line world, screwing around with one can muck up the other (and vice versa).
Since I have chosen to live in the hard drive as defined by Apple, I have
now decided I will wait for a package manager system with Cupertino's holy
water sprinkled on it.

CPAN is fine because it already assumes Perl installed. I screwed up by
reinstalling Perl itself, and don't know how to "roll back." Hence the
chagrin. I am very happy to see the heavy duty Perl geeks using OS X because
it lends some kind of geeky credibility to my beloved MacOS, and make me
feel good feeling bad about Windows. I do hope to learn from their writings
and experience, but in the end I like MacOS for its simplicity and for the
fact that it works... not because it is confusing and has a billion command
line switches and whatnot.

> If that's a stupid question, I'm sorry... I have no experience yet with
> installing Perl modules.

there are no stupid questions. Neither do I...

pk/