(CCed to reefknot-devel , where work on Net::ICal gets discussed)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Chris Devers wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Alex Rice wrote:
>
> > Has anyone successfully parsed a iCal.app .ics file using Net::ICal?
> > (Date::Ical does not address the entire file format, Net::ICal does)
> >
> > This script:
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/perl
> > use Net::ICal;
> > $icalStr = `cat /Users/alex/Library/Calendars/ARCtime.ics`;
> > my $cal = Net::ICal::Calendar->new_from_ical($icalStr) || die $!;
> >
> > Dies with output:  [slightly cleaned up -- c.d.]
> >
> > Invalid duration: seconds at /Library/Perl/Net/ICal/Component.pm
> >     line 697
> > Invalid duration: seconds at /Library/Perl/Net/ICal/Component.pm
> >     line 697
> > Invalid duration: seconds at /Library/Perl/Net/ICal/Component.pm
> >     line 697
> > MethodMapper: Can't invoke _create on Net::ICal::Duration at
> >     /Library/Perl/Net/ICal/Property.pm line 135
> > Can't call method "restore" on an undefined value at
> >     /Library/Perl/Net/ICal/Property.pm line 178.
> >
> > I would love to hear of any success stories or ideas what's going
> > wrong here.
>
> Any ideas, Shane?

Not offhand, though I know that there are a few patches in the CVS
copy of Net::ICal on sourceforge that haven't been released to CPAN.
I've been a Bad Module Maintainer and haven't had time to patch and
release Net::ICal in a while.

> Does anyone know of any variations between 'standard' ical format and the
> version that Apple has implemented? Do all .ics files fail the same way?
> Could you maybe send along the .ics file that led to this output, if this
> one in particular caused problems?

And if you do, reefknot-devel would love to see them also. Net::ICal
(and its major substrate, Date::ICal) have been languishing because
I and the other major contributors have been overwhelmed by the real
world. If anyone's interested in contributing to the code and making
it suck less, I'd recommend you join the reefknot-devel list and
post an intro.

Also, we'll cheerfully take bug reports and patches over there. :)

srl
--
Shane R. Landrum         [EMAIL PROTECTED]                __o
"In the end, you write the book that grabs you                -\<,