On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 08:59 AM, Puneet Kishor wrote:

> SNIP

> This is what bothers me... I want to do something quickly and I think
> of Perl... but I find it is sometimes just easier to do with PHP, and
> as much as I hate doing it, I concede another small "victory" to PHP.

First, use what works, right tool for the job, yadda yadda.  I don't
know about you but I am not at war with PHP, Python, C, awk, sed, bash,
Microsoft, Sun, Linux, BSD, etc.  (Well actually I am at war with etc.,
but that's another post); so what victory small or otherwise has PHP
claimed?

Your job as a computer user is to get something done.  Use what does it
easiest for you.  Sometimes Perl is not the answer... the Perl community
will not hate you, think you're dumber, or poke you with pointy sticks
for using "the other thing."  They might disagree and explain that all
you had to do was enter some wickedly arcane looking piece of code...
Remember it's not a flame if you don't understand the answer and even if
it is you won't know it!  :)

> SNIP

> But seems like this symptom pervades most everything.

Yeah initially it does.  Then it gets easier, and easier until you are
(to coin a phrase) Thinking In Perl*

* Warning Thinking in Perl is not considered safe by anyone.  Thinking
in Perl may cause the following irreversible symptoms:

Enlarged brain pan
Chicken fingers
Ceaseless wailing
Lawn care
Inability to communicate with those Thinking in Java
Irritable bowel syndrome
Regexoriosis  (Can be soothed with Aloe)
--
Lou Moran
http://ellem.dyn.dhs.org:5281/resume/lmoran2002.html