sorry folks, my bad. I should have mentioned what I don't want along
with what I want.

What I want is to know if I can mount a remote disk via ssh.

What I don't want is ftp, smb, afs, nfs, etc. That is because the remote
box is not running any of these.

Well, truthfully I don't know about nfs, because I don't know much about
nfs... but I know for a fact that the remote box, a beat-up RH Linux
clunker, is not running smbd, ftpd, netatalk, telnetd.

Once I determine that I can't do what I want via ssh, then I will try to
find alternatives... maybe figure out how to install netatalk (would
that be the best alternative).

But wait! that is another question --

In case I cannot use ssh to mount a remote RH Linux box to my iBook,
what is the easiest, most OS X friendly, secure alternative? Is Netatalk
the answer (doesn't that provide afs?). Or should I explore sftpd?

Thanks.

Puneet.