On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 01:45  PM, Puneet Kishor wrote:

> In case I cannot use ssh to mount a remote RH Linux box to my iBook,
> what is the easiest, most OS X friendly, secure alternative? Is
> Netatalk the answer (doesn't that provide afs?). Or should I explore
> sftpd?

Netatalk might not be supported on the remote box;  it requires a
kernel recompile to be supported on some other unicies ... NFS can be
port-forwarded over ssh if you want secure remote access, provided you
force NFS to use TCP rather than the default UDP ... sftp is part of
she OpenSSH suite and is enabled by default, and you can sftp to the
remote box now without further change unless it has somehow been
removed or disabled.  Note that sftp doesn't support some "nice"
features of ftp ... you can't download recursively, for example.

Take care,
        --Chris