What is the script?  If you truly think you have an optimization
problem on the Mac, then send us the script -- assuming it is of
reasonable size.

Are you doing something in Perl that is really a Windows-specific
task...are you running Perl within Mac OS X or through Fink
packages...do you have the same versions of Perl...are you running Perl
on OS X or OS 9...do the computers have the same amount of RAM, similar
HDs, running one locally vs off a networked HD???  Also, 1.5 GHz
Apple?!?  Do you mean dual-1.25 GHz Apple?  it is difficult to even
comment with so little information to go by.