On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 07:12  PM, Puneet Kishor wrote:

in System Prefs one can turn web-sharing on or off. That works for the built in Apache. Prior to Jaguar I built my own Apache with mod_perl (what a heartburn that was) but couldn't figure out how to make the System Prefs web-sharing doo-hickey control "my" new Apache instead of Apple's apache.
The easiest way is not to create a new bundle, but to simple update /System/Library/StartupItems/Apache/Apache to point to your new apache and use the -f option to point to Apple's httpd.conf:

/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -f /etc/httpd/httpd.conf

However, I can't guarantee that that'll stick the next time Apple upgrades its Apache, or even the OS.

Perhaps what would be cool would be to be able to completely replace Apple's Apache and perl with our own custom version, and then prevent future OS updates from writing over our custom versions.
There's the rub -- I don't think you *can* "prevent future OS updates from writing over our custom versions." That's why I choose to simply disable Apple's Apache and create a startup bundle for my own.

Regards,

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                               Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]