At 14:18 -0500 13/11/02, John Siracusa wrote:
On 11/13/02 11:46 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:
 And CVS support too! Excellent!
Hrm, not so excellent for me so far...it just hangs with the "connecting"
dialog box and then fails.  CVS works fine from the command line.  Maybe
BBEdit isn't picking up my CVS environment variables?  I thought there'd be
someplace to set them in the BBEdit prefs, but I haven't found it yet...
Where are your environment variables configured?

For BBEdit to have them, they probably need to be in:

~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

Which needs to be something like:

****
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
<plist version="0.9">
<dict>
<key>CVSROOT</key>
<string>yourusername@yourhost:/cvs</string>
<key>CVS_RSH</key>
<string>ssh</string>
<key>DISPLAY</key>
<string>localhost</string>
<key>LC_ALL</key>
<string>C</string>
<key>PERL5LIB</key>
<string>/Library/Perl:/Users/yourusername/perl</string>
</dict>
</plist>
****

Changes take effect at login, so you'll need to logout and log back in.

From what I've seen, there are three places you can put environment variables:

~/.MacOSX/environment.plist - used by everything you launch directly.

~/.cshrc or ~/.tcshrc - used by any tcsh shell you launch (including remotely accessed ones). Terminal launched ones probably pick up the environment.plist variables, but if you ssh into your Mac from another Mac, then probably not.
setenv PERL5LIB /Library/Perl:/Users/yourusername/perl
setenv CVSROOT yourusername@yourhost:/cvs
setenv CVS_RSH ssh
setenv LC_ALL C

crontab -e file - you can also set envrionment variables in your crontab which will get used when executing cron actions.
PERL5LIB=/Library/Perl:/Users/yourusername/perl
LC_ALL=C
12 1 * * * perl dosomething.pl

Enjoy,
Peter.