On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 07:56 PM, drieux wrote:

there are several basic arguments here that need to be addressed.

martin has pointed towards a 'name space solution' by having
your PATH environmental set to include the three basic sets

	/usr/local/bin:/sw/bin:/usr/bin
I should add, in justification of the PATH approach, that there is a rationale behind the above ordering.

If I've installed my own (i.e. I built it, usually), or fink's version something, then it was because I
definitely wanted to use that version of, e.g. perl, and I'll install any libraries where that version can
locate them.

I might not hate the stock perl enough to blow it away, but having it obscured by the PATH variable is exactly what I want.

Of course, there is an issue with the instinctive #!/usr/bin/perl, with this approache, and I've been bitten by that once or twice.

If this really niggles you, move /usr/bin/perl aside (e.g. to /usr/bin/perl.stock or /usr/bin/perl.orig), and put in a synlink to your preferred binary.