On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 04:10  PM, Ken Williams wrote:

If you look closely, though, you'll see it says "lSystem" instead of "-lSystem". It should be "-lSystem".
D'oh! I could have swarn I did "-lSystem"! But testing it again now, it's working with "-lSystem", so I guess I didn't. Gah! I hadn't slept much yesterday -- that's my only excuse.

Because libSystem provides libdbm. It's pretty common to fool the linker by using symlinks - in fact, different library versions are usually symlinked to a version-less filename.
Yes, right, okay. Not as elegant, though.

Not a very elegant solution, unfortunately. I wonder if there's another way to get it to work...

YES! I found it! In src/Configure, I did DBM_LIB="", and that did the trick -- gcc just finds it in libSystem, and doesn't bother trying to find libdbm or anything. Yay! Here's a diff for it that should work without affecting other platforms:
Conceptually, it would be better to go back and do DBM_LIB="-lSystem" (with the dash), because that's where it's actually located.
I'll update my patch and resubmit it to the Apache developers.

Thanks Ken,

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                               Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]