At 16:08 -0800 12/10/02, bob ackerman wrote:
On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 02:08  PM, Adam Wells wrote:

At 14:02 -0800 12/10/02, bob ackerman wrote:
On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 01:31  PM, Matt Morse wrote:

also i'm interesed in opening a browser with a valid internet address
as argument but i can't find out the syntax for mac os x - can anyone
give a hand with that?
You can use the open command (see the man page for details):

    open -a Internet\ Explorer http://www.cnn.com

or, if you don't want to specify a particular app:

    open http://www.cnn.com

neither worked for me.
first example opened explorer w/o trying to access the url.
2nd example got 'No such file' prepended with current path.
Do you have a preferred browser set in the Web tab of the Internet control panel? I tried this and it worked for me, launching my preferred browser with the appropriate URL.

adam
yes. internet explorer is my default browser -- and, as i say -- IE itself is launched ok -- but the url isn't accessed.
Oh well.  Better go with the osascript method, then.

adam