On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 03:40:51PM -0600, Ken Williams wrote:

> On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 03:02  PM, David H. Adler wrote:
> >So, of course, I'm having problems installing things with 5.8.0.
> >
> >I realized that the whole fink issue is my problem.  Sadly, fink has
> >gone all to hell, somehow.  I'm getting 'Basepath not set in config file
> >"/sw/etc/fink.conf"!'  when I try to do anything with fink.  Apparently
> >my fink.conf got filled with a bunch of mp3 info, rather than actual
> >fink info (I have *no* idea how that happened).
>
> Heh. =)

Ok, that part gets solved with just replacing the fink.conf with a file
that just gives a Basepath.  whew.

> >So, a) anyone have any idea how to grow a new, workable fink.conf?
> >    b) If I rebuild Storable in fink, isn't it now not going to work for
> >    the /usr/bin/perl (i.e. 5.6.0 from apple)?
>
> Right, you need two different versions of Storable, one for 5.6.x, and
> the other for 5.8.x.

Will fink allow you to keep two different versions?  If so, how?  I am
bamfoozled.  But I'm coming off a long week...

> >    c) Wouldn't this all work better if the perl scripts fink uses just
> >    used a '-I /sw/lib/perl5' themselves?
>
> That's supposed to be set with a "setenv PERL5LIB ..." at login time,
> which happens if you put "source /sw/bin/init.csh" in your .login file.

What I meant was *not* at login, but when fink itself actually needs it.
I.e., instead of having fink's Storable be in use always, just have it
be used when *fink* is using it.

Maybe there's some good reason for it, but I don't know what it is.

Also, pudding.

dha
--
David H. Adler - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
Please do not throw hands at me.        - D84, Robots Of Death