Just installed Mail::Sendmail. Part of its test is to send an email. The test worked fine, but I was surprised by the message:

This is a test message sent with Perl version 5.006 from a darwin system.

Jeez, I was feeling guilty about not installing Perl 5.8, but I thought my iMac came with Perl 5.6. Be that as it may, the Perl code

print "$]\n";

produces 5.006 on my system. Am I missing something here?

On the terminal, "% perl -V" produces the first line

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 0) configuration:

Doesn't this mean I am using Perl 5.6? Why doesn't "$]" contain 5.6?

Regards,

Vic