On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 04:47  PM, Paul McCann wrote:

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 04:10:10PM -0600, Puneet Kishor wrote:
I am able to build SQLite 2.7.6 from source without any problem. But,
DBD::SQLite 0.23 (which comes with its own SQLite) croaks.
Interestingly, it seems to build and install ok, many tests are passed,
then 'make test' (regression testing) fails. Running dbish shows SQLite
is not installed (at least, it is not presented as a choice). Any
guidance will be appreciated. Here's the stdout --
There's a new version of DBD::SQLite that is supposed to fix
this 'orrible behaviour on Mac OS X. While I can't see it via
search.cpan.org right now it could be that damn proxy server
being recalcitrant!

Watch for DBD::SQLite 0.24 (which includes SQLite 2.7.6).

hmmmm... if you (I too) can't see it on search.cpan.org, how do you know 0.24 exists? I searched on the minimalist seargent.org, and on Google too... nothing about 0.24. Is there a secret place? ;-)

on a related note -- I am fairly confused about this CPAN installing thing? most perl packages (such as SQLite.pm, provided it didn't have to build libsqlite.a) are just text files, no? Hence, why do they need to be "installed" unless "install"-ing means simply copying them to the correct place. And, is the "install" procedure merely "perl Makefile.PL, make, make install"... is that all that CPAN really does (provided it doesn't have to follow any dependencies). So, if I have to install something outside of CPAN, do I do "perl Makefile.PL, make, make install"?

Tia,

Puneet.