On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 08:55  AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:

On 6/2/03 14:30, "Morbus Iff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Please download and test the perl 5.8.0 distribution available from:
http://nathan.torkington.com/tmp/perl5.8.0gnat1.dmg
I get a text transfer of the binary when trying to d/l this in Mozilla, IE
and Omni Web instead of the disk image. This is the first time this has
happened for a long time and I can't remember how to fix it. Anybody?
wget http://nathan.torkington.com/tmp/perl5.8.0gnat1.dmg
I'm still using 10.1.5:

bash2.05 phil@localhost ~ $ whereis wget
bash2.05 phil@localhost ~ $ whereis curl
/usr/bin/curl

So it looks like `curl'

fwiw, I am using 10.2.3... I don't have wget. I could be wrong, but I remember something to the effect that wget is not only deprecated in favor of curl but also abolished. As usaul, I culd be wrong.

On a related note -- Nat, please, if you could summarize how fink trashed your system so much that you had to reinstall... that might be as great a help as creating a perl dmg. Fink makes a very big issue of how it protects your system by installing under /sw, and remaining separate from the system. Seems like while it does all that, it also has to capability of hosing the system.

I work (employed) in a Windows environment, and I see machines routinely rebuilt. Seems like anything goes wrong, which, btw, is daily, the only way out they know is to rebuild the machine. At home I have OS X 10.2.3 now on 3 machines (one as old as a blue 350 iMac) ever since OS X came out, and no reinstalls or rebuilding ever. I shudder to think of the possibility that I might have to reinstall sometime, but smirk in the knowledge that unix systems don't need to be... seems like you had to.

why?