Puneet Kishor writes:
> On a related note -- Nat, please, if you could summarize how fink
> trashed your system so much that you had to reinstall... that might be
> as great a help as creating a perl dmg. Fink makes a very big issue of
> how it protects your system by installing under /sw, and remaining
> separate from the system. Seems like while it does all that, it also
> has to capability of hosing the system.

It's only suspicion on my part, because it's six months of compiling
software.  I think the big hassle came with my upgrading to the latest
Fink--I think that broke the Perl I'd installed, which had
inadvertently trashed the system Perl.

However, I'd several times interrupted fink attempting to compile
things from source, and I wonder whether one of those might have give
me the GNU du in /usr/bin instead of in /sw.  I'm not certain enough
to blame fink for that.

> why?

I could have lived with a messy Fink upgrade.  I'd just rm -rf /sw
and reinstall.  I could also have lived with a broken Perl.  I'd
just rm -rf /Library/Perl and /System/Library/Perl and reinstall
Perl.  But finding a stray du in /usr/bin scared the crap out of
me, and at that point I didn't know how much of my system was no
longer standard.

Anyone else could live with that.  I have to edit books where we
claim that things work a particular way on OS X.  We've already
been bitten--fink's du has a -h option that Apple's du doesn't,
and without realizing it we described -h in "Learning Unix for
Mac OS X, 2ed".  So I really need a clean sane system.

Nat