I've never used CPAN before - I've gotten by with the stock modules since I don't do too much perl hacking. But now I've got a script from a third party that needs some modules, so I figured I'd use CPAN to go get them.

So I fired up the cpan shell, answered all the initial questions (with the default answers). It suggested that I upgrade Bundle::libnet, so I took its advice and did so. As I was watching what it was doing, it started downloading perl 5.8.0

230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
Local directory now /Users/correia/.cpan/sources/authors/id/J/JH/JHI
250 CWD command successful.
250 CWD command successful.
250 CWD command successful.
250 CWD command successful.
250 CWD command successful.
250 CWD command successful.
250 CWD command successful.
250 CWD command successful.
200 Type set to I.

What is the story with this? I just wanted a teensy weensy little module. I didn't want to upgrade my whole perl installation.

How do I just go and grab say HTML::Parser (or whatever) starting from an unconfigured CPAN without running into this problem?

Thanks,
Jim