At 1:26 PM -0500 3/7/2003, Jim Correia wrote:
>I've never used CPAN before - I've gotten by with the stock modules since I don't do
>too much perl hacking. But now I've got a script from a third party that needs some
>modules, so I figured I'd use CPAN to go get them.
>
>So I fired up the cpan shell, answered all the initial questions (with the default
>answers). It suggested that I upgrade Bundle::libnet, so I took its advice and did
>so. As I was watching what it was doing, it started downloading perl 5.8.0

The version of CPAN that Apple ships is buggy in this regard.

The first thing I recommend when first working with CPAN is:

cpan> install CPAN
cpan> reload cpan

(note: not Bundle::CPAN, which CPAN itself suggests as soon as it figures out that a
newer version of CPAN is available)

CPANPLUS, which is intended to replace the CPAN module, is coming along nicely, but I
remember having to revert to an earlier version recently because of some issues with
either the stock perl from Apple or with my installation or both. CPAN's readme states:

    This module will eventually be replaced by CPANPLUS. CPANPLUS is kind of
    a modern rewrite from ground up with greater extensibility and more
    features but no full compatibility. If you're new to CPAN.pm, you
    probably should investigate if CPANPLUS is the better choice for you.

-Charles Albrecht
 euonymic.com