On Samstag, März 8, 2003, at 11:46 Uhr, Sherm Pendley wrote:

On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 01:17 AM, rich allen wrote:

is there anyway to connect from Mac OS X to mssql?

I don't know of a native driver - please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Even lacking a native driver, you can connect via a DBI::ProxyServer and DBD::Proxy, though - I've used this technique quite often, to connect MacPerl to MySQL and Oracle databases. There's a page about it on Pudge's site, at <http://pudge.net/macperl/dbi-dbd-proxy.html>.

I used the DBI::ProxyServer to connect to a MS SQL Server on Windows 2000 (the reason being that the web frontend was supposed to run on a Unix box later) and cannot recommend that. I got some problems after the system had run ok for weeks, where no more than one connection at a time was possible, and have never quite got to the root of them (happily I was allowed to switch to Linux and MySQL - the latter provides more than enough features for the given task). Depending on how firm you are on SQL Server grounds (which I am none too much), I'd think about it. EasySoft provides a commercial driver which was recommended once on the perl-dbi list but it is quite expensive.

Regards,

chris