* Spoiler warning, for the two people who haven't read the books! *

is there such a thing as a Perl programmer who hasn't read the trilogy? :)
You've probably all seen this already, but did you notice that LOTR is listed as offline documentation section (in the preface) of the Programming Perl 3rd edition? i got a kick out of that :)

'In addition to the Perl-related publications listed above, we recommend the following books. They aren't about Perl directly but still come in handy for reference, consultation, and inspiration.'

Another jarring omission - Galadriel didn't give Sam a box of soil from Lothlorien, or a seed from one of its trees. That doesn't bode well for the end of the third movie - In the books, Sam uses those gifts to rebuild the Shire after it's ravaged by Saruman. It makes me suspect that the whole "Scouring of the Shire" segment is going to go the way of Tom Bombadil.

if they skip the scouring, i wonder how wormtongue and saruman will be dealt with?
i think the ending will be smoothed over a bit, because the third book is so tragic. the notion of great loss in spite of victory permeates the story. hopefully the writers didn't deem that too much to bear for the average movie-goer.

i can't wait to see golem's dance at the fiery brink.