I think this is a good idea, but I might suggest a simple codicil:

People may put whatever (short) items they like in their .signature, even
those taking a stance on such "external stressors."  But the rest of us
agree not to respond to the list on the content of those .signatures.  If
someone feels the need to respond privately to the owner of the
.signature, so be it.

(I've seen ordinarily rational lists descend into a stinking pile of
flamage because someone quoted and responded to someone else's .signature
on an OT subject.  But that is the fault of the respondant, not the owner
of the .signature.)

--
Trey Harris
Vice President