On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 01:31 am, Chris Nandor wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robin) wrote:
MacPerl per se historically has not been aware of locale outside of
ascii defined ones (not sure about the latest version).
Is there a reason for MacJPerl when MacPerl 5.8.x is released?

while the 5.8 perl interpreter has built in unicode support, how you would go about displaying, editing or even using a perl script containing Japanese characters on OS9 (even with the Japanese Language kit) is no small task (try a simple regex substitution and you'll see what I mean). OSX makes it potentially easier, but most software is lagging far behing the promise, still coming in mono lingual mindset rather than multilingual, and all that this entails.

Anyway for anyone intersted in more info about the history and development of Japanese text encodings, here's a link to one of the best pages I found so far on the web:
http://tronweb.super-nova.co.jp/characcodehist.html

Robin