On Saturday, June 14, 2003, at 06:42 pm, Charles Eicher wrote:

Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I'm in exactly the same jam. I've hammered on this problem all day. Help!

yes actually I did - for me the problem was with named and netinfo - not being a perl problem as such I didn't post to [EMAIL PROTECTED] again - and I'm cross posting into [EMAIL PROTECTED] because I furthered my query there.

In my case it was caused by a box which is a nameserver and a NetInfo master for it's node on the lan and basically bindd was failing during startup due to a delay caused by connectng to the NetInfo master- I believe LWP uses the standard Unix way of resolving hostnames and IPadresses (gurus feel free to correct any wrong assumptions), so localhost couldn't be resolved by LWP, hence the errors. So in short named is the culprit.

(ignore the next part if you know how to find out if named is running and functioning correctly):

to check if named is running
(in the terminal)
ps -aux | grep named (will show named + grep looking for named if running, else will show grep looking for named only)
or
dig google.com (name won't resolve)

to check your machine records and/or kill and start named manually:
(in the terminal)
ps -aux | grep named
sudo kill -HUP namedPID

this will throw up errors in the systemlog telling you where and what isn't as it should be.

hth Robin