Well well, it looks like I got a lot of replies over the night...

There were two places I've gotten the mojibake text: one was from an email (I
was asking how to make a specific kanji i couldn't find), the second was from
file names a japanese friend of mine gave me (mp3). As far as typing in
Japanese, I can do that fine (even if I can only seem to do it in the Finder and
in TextEdit).

I tried copying them over to an html page and tried the three different japanese
encodings Camino offers (ISO 2022-JP, Shift JIS, EUC) as well as unicode (UTF8).
Those helped with one of the five or so strings (a short one) and one of the
strings was rendered two very different ways with two of the encodings (and only
partially for either of them). None of the other strings did anything other than
sometimes switch from the two-byte format to "?".  Incidentally, if you want
some of the strings to mess around with, here they are...

I managed to find the kanji I asked the person about with the charecter palette
description she gave, but it was or could be described otherwise as: Unicode
5782, JIS(X0213) 1-31-66, Shift JIS(X0208) 9082: and it was mojibake'ed as
($BEZ(B) Some other codes she sent, and hence probably in the same encoding,
were $B7V(B and $Bj%(B both for hotaru.

some other strings are:
a$EAaD (this is the one I could decode)
$B0T$B0U$B0G<>"<>n<>d<>c
--GDB<>$BB<>c<>-$DA$F5 (this is the one rendered differently)

>But...it really depends on how you qualify "My
>next question is where
>there's a good online FAQ site for doing
>japanese on OSX or finding OSX programs
>that accept Japenese
>(unicode?)."

I was mainly wondering two things: one if there's a good general
"troubleshooting/doing japanese on OSX" page (I couldn't find any such thing on
Apple's site) or just troubleshooting/doing in general, and two if there was
some place that lists/downloads OSX apps that accept Japanese input. For the
latter I think Ward might have helped with suggesting stuff to do from the
system preferences.

Thanks a bundle already,
~wren