Icon\r files appear when, in earlier Mac OS's, a folder - directory in UNIX parlance -
was to be displayed by Finder with a special icon. I'm pretty sure the files are
resource-only with no data fork.

You might try concatenating "/..namedfork/rsrc" to the path but if you do open it it
will be difficult to interpret without the resources of something like ResEdit and I
don't think that's an aqua APPL yet. . . . .

I am surprised by the 0d0a pair that you see. That doesn't happen in the MPW world of
classic OS. It's possible that the ls operation adds the 0a prior to the pipe.

--
--> On the eighth day, about 6 kiloyears ago, the Lord realized that free will would
make man ask what existed before the Creation. So He installed a few gigayears of