> So I've been put in charge of setting up and
> maintaining our department's new dispatch/switchboard
> computer. In trying to keep it clean and in order, I
> was hoping, if possible, to be able to give users
> read/write access to information in files themselves,
> but to block them from renaming the files or moving
> them.
>
> I tried giving r-x access to a folder and rwx access
> to the file inside. This lets them open the file and
> prohibits them from moving/renaming it, but prohibits
> them from saving any changes (because they can't write
> to the folder).

That sure isn't the way I understand it. I'll check when I get a chance
whether that's the effect on Mac OS X. Are you trying to use the GUI
File Info interface from Finder, instead of chmod/chown, perhaps?

I've found it handy to set up "dummy" users and "empty" groups. Some
careful thought will often yield the functionality you need. For
instance, the first thing I might try (if I understand your question
correctly) is to set up an empty group called "deptA" with netinfo,
dummy user called "deptA", complete with a file heirarchy under /Users,

BTW, /etc/groups is ignored after Mac OS X goes multi. You'll need to
add users to groups other than their primary group through the
Netinfo Manager utility. (GUI access in the utilities folder.)

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan

"When software is patentable, anything is patentable."
(http://swpat.ffii.org)