* Vic Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The default shell for Panther is bash. I had become accustomed to tcsh
> under Jaguar. That is part of my problem. I'm trying to go with bash
> under the new system.

IM(NS)HO, zsh has more tcsh compatibilities, while not suffering from
the various deficiencies that plague the csh shells (google for "csh
programming harmful"), and also has (to me) several advantages over
other Bourne-based shells, such as MULTIOS and programmable completion.

>1. Aren't these package manuals going in the wrong place? Shouldn't
>   they automatically be placed in a subdirectory of "/usr/share/man"?
>   If so, how do I change the configuration of my system so that the
>   "make" procedure automatically puts new manuals in the right place?

Hmm, I also see a /man directory on my 10.3 system. Let us see where
this rabbit hole goes.

Poke around in a module build directory that has had "perl Makefile.PL"
run previously in it (which creates the Makefile); I use a non-
/root/.cpan/build directory, as outlined at:

http://sial.org/howto/perl/life-with-cpan/

Ideally pick a module that installed documentation to /man, but I chose
one at random.

$ cd /var/spool/cpan/build/DBD-Pg-1.22
$ grep /man Makefile
INST_MAN1DIR = blib/man1
INST_MAN3DIR = blib/man3
INSTALLMAN1DIR = $(PERLPREFIX)//usr/share/man/man1
INSTALLSITEMAN1DIR = $(SITEPREFIX)//man/man1
INSTALLVENDORMAN1DIR = $(VENDORPREFIX)/man/man1
INSTALLMAN3DIR = $(PERLPREFIX)//usr/share/man/man3
INSTALLSITEMAN3DIR = $(SITEPREFIX)//man/man3
INSTALLVENDORMAN3DIR = $(VENDORPREFIX)/man/man3

And a secondary lookup at how those *PREFIX are being defined:

$ egrep '^(PERL|SITE|VENDOR)PREFIX' Makefile
PERLPREFIX = /
SITEPREFIX = /
VENDORPREFIX = /usr/local

SITEPREFIX looks to blame, as it should set ///man as the prefix for
INSTALLSITEMAN1DIR and INSTALLSITEMAN3DIR. The others will either be
under /usr/local/man or /usr/share/man, which are fine.

Ergo, modules using SITEPREFIX-based INSTALLSITEMAN[13]DIR settings will
install under /man. To correct this, optionally relocate the exiting
documentation (or just delete /man and reinstall the modules once CPAN
is reconfigured):

$ sudo rsync -avz /man /usr/share
$ sudo rm -rf /man

Then either use the CPAN shell (peruse `perldoc CPAN` in the shell, and
type "help" in the CPAN shell and investigate "o conf makepl_arg") or
muck with the system-wide CPAN/Config.pm preferences file directly to
set INSTALLSITEMAN1DIR and INSTALLSITEMAN3DIR to a non-/man path. The
proper CPAN/Config.pm file to edit may be different from the following
if you have installed a new version of perl (say, 5.8.2).

$ locate CPAN/Config.pm
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/CPAN/Config.pm
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/CPAN/Config.pm~

$ sudo vi `locate CPAN/Config.pm | head -1`

$ grep makepl_arg /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/CPAN/Config.pm
  'makepl_arg' => q[INSTALLSITEMAN1DIR=/usr/share/man/man1
INSTALLSITEMAN3DIR=/usr/share/man/man3],

P.S. Spanish wine is tasty.