In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William H. Magill) wrote:

> On 23 Nov, 2003, at 15:04, Jerry Rocteur wrote:
> > BTW, does anyone recommend something different than HFS+ to avoid this
> > very annoying thingy ?
>
> Get a copy of OS X Server (Panther)'s install CD and format the disk as
> Case Sensitive. (This is supposedly different from the old UFS option,
> but I haven't tried it, so I can't say for certain. )

You can do this on Mac OS X too, though I don't know how.  But you need to
use the command line tools, it is not available in the GUI.  I've been told
by Apple personnel that this works, though I've not tried it, or quite
figured out how to do it.  I need to reformat a disk soon though, so I may
give it a shot.  I'll post about it if I do.

> One that I am aware of has to do with Retrospect -- it assumes a case
> insensitive file system. So if you have "HEAD" and "head" only one copy
> winds up on the tape.

But chances are they are in different locations anyway: just make sure you
install in /usr/local, as everyone should have done anyway ... right?  ;-)

--
Chris Nandor                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://osdn.com/