Did an upgrade from 10.2.6 to 10.3.2 on an Xserve. During upgrade, kept
server as Standalone.

Tried switching to OpenDirectory. It worked, but if I look under users in
the LDAP dir my admin account authentication info I added when switching to
OD (UID 501) isn't there. If I enable showing system users in preferences in
WM I do see the System Administrator account (root), but it will not allow
me to authenticate as root.

Talked to Apple, they told me this problem occurs in the following
situtations when upgrading or switching to OD from standalone:
    1) if your ethernet cable is unplugged
    2) if you have more than one IP active on a single interface, or you
have a single IP active but it's not the original (first) IP you assigned to
the interface.

So they suggested I switch to Standalone, turn off all Ips except the first,
reboot, switch to OD. That didn't work. So I forced server setup assistant
to run by removing /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and going through the setup
process and choose Open Directory. And the setup app crashed at the end like
it always does. When I rebooted OD was active but there was still no admin
501 account.

So Apple said the next step is to do a clean reinstall. I asked if it's
possible to directly edit the LDAP files to add the admin user. They said it
was but that was beyound the scope of Apple support.

So, if anyone knows how to directly edit the Berkley DB/XML files associated
with OD LPAD to add an admin user so I can use my currently useless LDAP
directory, I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise I've got a painful clean install to do.

--
Randall Perry
sysTame

Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location