At 17:53 +0100 1/21/04, manu chao wrote:
>Hi, I just wanted to get started by following the tutorial at
>http://www.mactipscafe.com/tip015/
>but I get the following error:
>'Exec format error. Binary file not executable.'

The web page seems to show a space between the exclamation point and the /.. I have
never put one there and I'm not sure it's an error to do so.

Try, from Terminal

perl  -w  ../helloWorld.pl

The shell will ignore the shebang (#!) line and go directly to perl. The -w flag turns
on perl's extra warnings.

Also do a "ls -l" after you do the chmod to be sure the permissions got changed.

It also wouldn't hurt to do "cat  helloWorld.pl" just to be sure what you expect is
there. If it has improper line ends or is in RTF format you'll see it.

echo $PATH

to be sure /usr/bin/ is in your search path

which perl

to be sure perl is actually installed.

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't
<--