I also encounter this problem.

But for me this isn't resolved until i install CPAN.pm new via make, ... Then it works the first couple of times and then again it just does nothing. The fun part is that i can login to the ftp-server cpan.pm tries. I can log in but the module can't. It's a chore. Im used to Activestates ppm and it just works!

I already installed nearly all available ftp-programs cpan-pm asks for. This changes nothing. I did the reinstall once and after that everything was fine, but only for 2 or 3 times. My errorcode is 400 or 404. If i use <crtl>-c to stop downloading i usually get more interesting error-messages like "per user limit exceeded" or something like that.

*Manually* everything seems to work fine.

Thanks for Your help