Greetings,

I try to back up my system once a week. I have a firewire disk drive that I use for this purpose. I have been using the Lacie software that came with it. Before Panther, I used to be able just to plug it in and run it under my own id. Now I need to log in as root to run it. Which means I can't do anything else until it finishes, and it takes about 40 minutes.

I am looking to do something more automatic.

Questions:

1. Can iSync be used for backups? I'm not sure if I have iSync unless it is standard in Panther.

2. Otherwise, has someone wrote a perl program to do this that I can run in cron.

Thank you so much,

Joe.