I have been browsing some Python code from the Image package.
It appears that they offer a variety of scaling algorithms.

Seems like I remember that one of the examples produced
thumbnails and you could control sharpness, brightness, contrast
and color

However I don't think Python does PDF so I guess you could
go big pdf-->big jpg via sips then big jpg -->thumbnail via python

Seems like it might be a hassle ;(  Is this a one-off thingee or
is it part of an application?

I have a simple Tcl/Tk image browser at http://homepage.mac.com/levanj/TclTk
that thumbnails whole directories using select one out of n scaling, it
produces semi passable results.

I have not had the chance to look at ImageMagic seems like there ought to
be a nice perl module(s) that can do a good job...

Jerry