On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:34:39 -0700, someone going by the name of Bruce Van Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:

On 5/29/04 Timothy Bailey wrote:
[...]
 >I downloaded the December 2002 version, and installed it. I am still

That's old. Did you say you have OS X 10.2?

10.2.8. That Developer Tools seems to be the newest one for 10.2 on the Developer Tools page; the rest are XCode, and require 10.3.

>(Trying "install Bundle::libnet", among other things, attempted an
install of Perl 5.8.4 - I'm not certain if it was successful, but I

Oh, there's a hint. There was a version of CPAN.pm in early Jaguar that would force an install of the latest Perl. Not what you want. I think the immediate solution was to install a newer CPAN (but not Bundle::CPAN). Search this list -- lots of talk over a year ago...

I haven't found it yet, but I'll keep looking.

>Any other ideas? Do I blank out the ~/.cpan directory? How do I
determine that the Developer Tools took?  The errors seem to be
slightly different now, but I'm not certain of the specifics.

I've installed Dev Tools routinely since the Public Beta, so I don't know what it's like without them, but it seems like I first tested them using Terminal, running tools and Perl code from the command line...

Could you reinstall your system, maybe upgraded to later Jaguar, and get
a later version of the Developer Tools? And if you want a later version
of Perl, DO NOT replace the system's Perl -- again, search this list for
discussion. (I'm assuming you have a reason not to buy Panther, w/ Perl
5.8.1.)

This is my hobby machine to play with OSX - I don't want to spend the $100+ for Panther. ;)
--
Tim Bailey |\/ "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |\/ good of its victims may be the most oppressive.