(Replying to all the messages in one)

I guess right now I'm mainly looking for a good (to a
certain extent, read: dedicated) XML editor and
haven't yet encountered one for OSX. Aside form the
"standard" text editor features, the two biggest
things I'm looking for are automatic (via keystroke)
closing element tags* and highly extensible syntax
highlighting.

I've been told that jEdit performs excellently at the
latter, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
One of the big things I'm looking for is the ability
to use multiple highlighting pragmas in the same file
(i.e. CSS embedded in HTML, JS in HTML, PHP in HTML,
XSLT in XML, HTML in XML (aka XHTML), et cetera).

* And other carpal-tunnel-avoiding/time-saving
mechanisms like block indent/outdent/commenting and
"tab completion" ala emacs' dabbrev-expand

--- "Chris Devers" wrote:
> Yes, that's what the world needs: Yet Another Text
Editor.

But of course :-)

> I can think of two reasons why it would make any
sense to take on the
> task of writing Yet Another Text Editor:
>
>   1. You want to learn Cocoa programming. That alone
is a good reason.

>   2. You have some brilliant new feature in mind
that can't really be
> incorporated into existing software as a plugin

I hadn't thought of it as a Cocoa-learning exercise,
though it would definitely be that. jEdit may break
the mold, but historically speaking all the text
editors I've used suffer from the limitation that they
can only really handle one set of syntax for the whole
file, and tend to fall apart with these "mixed"
content files; sometimes they'll be able to handle it
to some extent, but by and large it comes across as
kludgeish (e.g. defining CSS/JS/PHP as part of the
HTML syntax). While not the end of the world, "it
would be nice..." And, I mean I could use vim, it has
pretty good highlighting abilities, but it'd be nice
to get something good and Mac-ish. If after trying
jEdit I do decide to go ahead with the project I think
this may be The Big Feature to make it a worthwhile
editor: a way of having the file actually be
interpreted in different languages as appropriate. Not
just for highlighting but also for validation,
spellchecking (e.g. only check the text nodes on a
webpage rather than calling the tags misspellings),
tag/quote/curly-brace/parens/... closing, doing block
commenting with the right comment-symbols.

I don't know if that'd count as "brilliant". It would
save a lot of time/energy to build on top of another
editor, and that would reduce the overall number of
editors out there, but I'd find it difficult to do the
sorts of things I'm thinking as a module since it
alters the underlying way text is handled.

--- "Doug McNutt" wrote:
> I'm not so sure about the OT designation.

Since Perl is what I know, and Perl is really good
with text I've been debating possible Perl-oriented
approaches. But I'm wondering why you're not so sure
about the OT designation?

> It is likely that you could find support for your
effort on the MPW
http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/mpw-dev >
> especially if you are interested in making the
editor a real shell
> while you're at it.

Depending on what all this "real shell" entails, I may
very well be interested. Ideally the end product would
have good integration with commandline programs (such
as `wc` and others I can't think of off the top of my
head, ability to run scripts/programs and direct
output to a window, etc). I've never messed with MPW,
mind, so who knows if what I'm hoping for would bear
much resemblance to it.

--- "Joel Rees" wrote:
> I'm a little lazy right now. Was SubEthaEdit
originally on open source
> project?
>
> (And did Wren notice BareBone's TextWrangler and
decide that didn't go
> far enough?)

I don't know if SEE was ever open source. For some
reason I'm thinking not, though I don't know where
that's coming from. If it is/was F/OSS I would be
interested in borrowing the network editing stuff (if
feasible) since that is what everybody cites it for. I
find the idea nifty even though I've never used it
myself and don't know if I ever will; but the overall
lack of preferences/customizability of SEE is one of
the big things turning me off of it right now.

I looked at TextWrangler a looong time back. I don't
remember much of anything about it. Of course one of
the things keeping me away from BBEdit is the cost, is
BBTW substantially cheaper or better yet F/OSS?

> One thought -- Wren, if you're going to go so far as
to write YATE,
> I'd suggest your internal character encoding be a
thirty-two bit
> encoding that uses the full thirty-two bits to allow
you to keep track
> of input encoding on a character-by-character basis.
While Unicode
> support is a must, I would not use it as an internal
encoding because
> of the round-trip problems.

The idea intrigues me, but I think I may be a bit too
naive about character encoding to get precisely what
you mean. What aspect of "input encoding" are you
intending? And which round-trip problems are you
referring to?

--- "Ken Williams" wrote:
> But if you want to write one because you think
you'll save money:
> suppose you earn about $40/hour.  BBEdit upgrade
costs about 60 bucks.

IIRC my version of BBEdit is sufficiently old that I
can't upgrade it but must buy it anew. Of course, at
the moment I have no disposable income, but I do have
free time, which tilts the equation. In any case, if I
had the money I'd prolly get it, but on a certain
level I do think it'd be fun to do, especially if I
can get it to have the features I'm looking for. I've
also been getting quite into the whole F/OSS issue of
late, and should I ever actually take the time to
reflect on the matter, some part of me feels that I
should practice what I preach. <shrug/>

~wren